If you are thinking about how to become a driving instructor in Melbourne, then this particular guide will prove to be very helpful for you. In this article, we will discuss how to get your driver’s license and get started as a driving instructor.
Any individual who trains any other person for any monetary reward is referred to as a driving trainer or instructor. You must have a Driving Instructor’s license to accomplish this legally.
You can learn to be a driving instructor for motorbikes, cars, and heavy vehicles, but separate training is required for each one of these.
Basic Steps to Become A Driving Instructors:
- Obtain a license.
- Look for work, acquire or join a franchise, or open your school.
Obtaining An Instructor Licence
- The minimum age should be 21 years.
- During the four years immediately before your application, you have held a full driver’s license of the relevant class (car, motorcycle, or heavy vehicle) for at least three years.
- You have been approved by Roads and Maritime Services to take and pass an authorized driving instruction course.
It normally takes six months from the time you apply to finish your qualifications, and the process is as follows:
- Checks and documents
- Theoretical as well as practical assessments
- Letter of eligibility
- A training course on how to become a driving instructor
- Regulator Final Evaluation
Checks As Well As Documents
You will be required to submit the following information:
- A completed application for the position of Driving Instructor.
- A medical certificate certifying that you are fit enough to drive.
- Passed the police as well as criminal background checks.
- 2 sample signatures
- 4 passport-sized color pictures
You will have to:
- Pass a 90-question test especially on road rules (remember to practice the questions on this page).
- Before receiving a letter of eligibility, car instructors must pass the driving test (95% correct); motorbike instructors must pass a Motorcycle Operator Skills Test.
- If you take the exam in an automatic car, your Driving Instructor license will be restricted to exclusively teaching in an automatic car.
After completing all the stages, you will receive a letter of eligibility.
Letter of eligibility
You must have received your letter of eligibility from Roads and Maritime. Only after that, you would be able to enroll in a training course.
Instructor Training Course
The Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) includes the following instructor training standards that have been agreed upon nationally:
- Cars: The instructors must get the TLI41210 Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Car Driving Instruction).
- Heavy vehicles: Driving instructors must pass the TLI41310 Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Heavy Vehicle Driving Instruction) to teach heavy vehicles.
- Motorcycles: Before beginning instructor training with an approved course provider, riding instructors must pass the training course by Road and Maritime.
Final Evaluation By The Regulator
The final step is to demonstrate that you are ready to teach. You will be expected to:
- Present lessons
- Show that you can drive safely
- Participate in a commentary drive
- Complete a variety of maneuvers